SmartRaft floating wetland systems naturally restore water quality in ponds and waterways.
Made from recycled material, embedded with aquatic plants and a suspended root system, SmartRaft is an effective and low maintenance water treatment solution.
SmartRafts take up nutrients around the clock improving water quality and maintaining long-term ecological balance. They source their nutrient requirements directly from the water itself.
By creating a natural habitat, SmartRafts offer much more than water treatment. Biodiversity is increased and a unique ecosystem on otherwise unused space is established.
SmartRafts are environmentally friendly and aesthetically pleasing, yet robust enough to withstand weather extremes and changing water levels.
- Lakes and slow-flowing streams
- Ponds, dams, estuaries and reservoirs
- Wastewater treatment, stormwater collection, irrigation, dairy effluent and silage leachate ponds
- Fresh water, recycled water, contaminated water
- Farmers, Lifestylers, Homeowners, Iwi Trusts, Councils, Facilities and Businesses requiring water treatment
SmartRafts improve water quality through:
- Direct uptake of excess nutrients from the water, such as nitrogen and phosphorus, through a suspended root system submerged below the raft.
- Removal of fine particles/suspended solids, heavy metals and pathogens through accumulation in the biofilm around the roots. Eventually the biofilm and accumulated particles slough off to deposit particles in the sediment below.
- Employment of complex natural processes converting nitrate to nitrogen gas.
- Limiting growth of blue-green and other algae by lowering nutrient availability in the water below and by shading of water surface, thereby excluding light which is vital to algae.
- Increased sedimentation of particles as there are less water turbulences caused by wind, waves and thermal mixing when SmartRafts are floating on the pond.
SmartRafts are constructed from recycled PET bottles and aquatic plants that are grown from eco-sourced seeds.SmartRafts can be installed in existing ponds, either manmade or natural.
SmartRafts not only improve water quality, they create a unique environment and ecosystem. A plant habitat is established on the water through installing SmartRafts. This attracts waterfowl, fish and insects onto the raft and into the water which increase the biodiversity on & around the pond. The shading that SmartRafts provide helps to minimise evaporation and saves water.
SmartRafts are effective at greater depths than conventional wetlands. The plants on a SmartRaft experience no overtopping or drying out. SmartRafts achieve a consistently higher removal rate of nutrients, suspended solids, pathogens and heavy metals through the ability to support a higher plant density combined with the constant and direct contact of the roots with the water content.
SmartRafts are available on lease, which includes annual maintenance by Nelmac’s Conservation & Ecology team. Sale options with a maintenance contract on request.
For more information please call 0800 NELMAC / 0800 635622.